- Open Access
- Open Peer Review
Whither verbal autopsy?
© Byass; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2011
- Received: 3 May 2011
- Accepted: 1 August 2011
- Published: 1 August 2011
- Verbal Autopsy
- Pure Gold
- Medical Certification
- Health Service Planning
- Death Determination
The Umeå Centre for Global Health Research is supported from FAS, the Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research (http://www.fas.se) (grant no. 2006-1512). PB's participation in the Global Congress on Verbal Autopsy was funded by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington.
- Fottrell E, Byass P: Verbal Autopsy - methods in transition. Epidemiologic Reviews 2010, 32: 38-55. 10.1093/epirev/mxq003View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lozano R, Lopez AD, Atkinson C, Naghavi M, Flaxman AD, Murray CJL: Performance of physician-certified verbal autopsies: multisite validation study using clinical diagnostic gold standards. Popul Health Metr 2011, 9: 32. 10.1186/1478-7954-9-32View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Murray CJL, Lopez AD, Black R, Ahuja R, Ali SM, Baqui A, Dandona L, Dantzer E, Das V, Dhingra U, Dutta A, Fawzi W, Flaxman AD, Gomez S, Hernandez B, Joshi R, Kalter H, Kumar A, Kumar V, Lozano R, Lucero M, Mehta S, Neal B, Ohno SL, Prasad R, Devarsetty P, Premji Z, Ramírez-Villalobos D, Remolador H, Riley I, Romero M, Said M, Sanvictores D, Sazawal S, Tallo V: Population Health Metrics Research Consortium gold standard verbal autopsy validation study: design, implementation, and development of analysis datasets. Popul Health Metr 2011, 9: 27. 10.1186/1478-7954-9-27View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Murray CJL, Lozano R, Flaxman AD, Vahdatpour A, Lopez AD: Robust metrics for assessing the performance of different verbal autopsy cause assignment methods in validation studies. Popul Health Metr 2011, 9: 28. 10.1186/1478-7954-9-28View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Cox JA, Lukande RL, Lucas S, Nelson AM, Van Marck E, Colebunders R: Autopsy causes of death in HIV-positive individuals in sub-Saharan Africa and correlation with clinical diagnoses. AIDS Review 2010, 12: 183-194.Google Scholar
- Shojania K, Burton E, McDonald K, Goldman L: The Autopsy as an Outcome and Performance Measure. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2002.Google Scholar
- Byass P, Fottrell E, Huong DL, Berhane Y, Corrah T, Kahn K, Muhe L, Van DD: Refining a probabilistic model for interpreting verbal autopsy data. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health 2006, 34: 26-31. 10.1080/14034940510032202View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Byass P, Kahn K, Fottrell E, Mee P, Collinson MA, Tollman SM: Using verbal autopsy to track epidemic dynamics: the case of HIV-related mortality in South Africa. Popul Health Metr 2011, 9: 46. 10.1186/1478-7954-9-46View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.